Sunday, April 13, 2014

The Friendship Weekend


They say Shabbat is about spirituality and reflection. But really, there is so much more to it than that.
On Friday, two high school friends came to the university for a Shabbat weekend. They rolled in with sleeping bags and pillows--ready for a few days of fun.

Adding two male voices to our (all female) six person service was refreshing. We sounded well rounded and the prayers seemed much more alive. Even though we weren't a minyan, we were able to do Kabbalat Shabbat, with beautiful Carlebach tunes. Our singing reminded me of my time spent in Israel (it was that good).

Anyhow, after a dinner of shwarma and zatar pita, we headed back to my dorm to just hang out. It's been a long time since I've just spent time with other Jewish people like myself. And after hours of animated conversation-- I realized that something was different about this shabbat. It felt so wonderful to be with others who share similar values. It felt so wonderful to know that at this huge university, filled with people from all walks of life, there is a small group of Jews who see life as I do. I am not alone.

We stayed up so late! It wasn't until 2:00 am that I stumbled into bed and closed my eyes. The next morning I felt so refreshed. But more importantly, I awoke feeling like the Shabbat spirit still clinging to my skin. I felt like the burning candles of the night before were still vibrant.

Our group met again to have a lovely breakfast around 11. We sat outside, basking under the sun, talking about our upcoming Passover preparation. Hours went by-- and we just sat there, laughing at random stories. That's when I realized what my shabbatot have been missing lately-- community. Sure, I can reflect all I want alone. I can sit by myself on Saturday, read a book, and be perfectly content. But having a group of friends around me, makes shabbat more than just a passive activity--it makes the day come alive.

Suddenly rest has a new meaning. The friendships re-invigorate me for a new, possibly stressful week.

I hope I have more Shabbatot like this in the future!

Oh-- and on a different note: Passover begins tomorrow evening. I will be going home for the seders later tomorrow! I can't wait to taste that matza-ball soup.
-Loni

No comments:

Post a Comment